Consular Services - General Information

Any foreigner wishing to enter Thailand is required to obtain a visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate-General.


To apply for a visa, a foreigner must possess a valid passport or travel document that is recognized by the Royal Thai Government and comply with the conditions set forth in the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E.2522 (1979) and its relevant regulations. In addition, a visa applicant must be outside Thailand at the time of the application. Applicants will be issued with types of visas according to their purpose of visit.


Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay. The visa validity is a period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. Generally, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, we also issue visas valid for 6 months or 1 year. The validity of a visa is granted by the Embassy or Consulate-General and shown in the visa. The period of stay depends on the type of visa and is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry. For example, the period of stay for a transit visa does not exceed 30 days, for a tourist visa does not exceed 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa does not exceed 90 days from the arrival date. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok, located in Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel 02-2873101-10 or at an Immigration office in the provinces. For information on application for extension of stay, please see the website of the Immigration Bureau.


Foreigners entering Thailand are not allowed to work, regardless of their types of visa, unless they are granted a work permit. Information on Work Permit application could be obtained from the website of the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour.


Foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter the Kingdom: *


- Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport; or having a genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport without visaing by the Royal Thai Embassies or Consulates-General in foreign countries; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, except if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances. Visaing and visa exemption will be under the terms and conditions as provided in the Ministerial Regulations.


* - Having no appropriate means of living following entry into the Kingdom.


- Having entered into the Kingdom to work as an unskilled labourer, or to work in violation of the Alien Work Permit Law.


- Being mentally unstable or having any of the diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.


- Having not yet been vaccinated against smallpox or inoculated or undergone any other medical treatment for protection against disease and having refused to have such vaccinations administered by the Immigration Doctor.


- Having been imprisoned by the judgment of the Thai Court; or by a lawful injunction; or by the judgment of the Court of foreign country, except when the penalty is for petty offense or negligence or is provided for as an exception in the Ministerial Regulations.


- Having behavior which would cause danger to the public or likelihood of being nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.


- Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in prostitution, the trafficking of women or children, drug smuggling, or other types of smuggling which are contrary to the public morality.


- Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under Section 14 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522. - Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522.


- Being deported by either the Government of Thailand or other foreign countries; or the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries having been revoked; or having been sent out of the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless the Minister considers exemption on an individual special case basis. The examination and diagnosis of disease of a physical or mental nature, including protective operations as against disease, shall be conducted by the Immigration Doctor.




Following are types of visa granted by the Royal Thai Consulate: Transit Visa Tourist Visa Non-Immigrant Visa



Ministry of Foreign Affairs Sri Ayudhya Road, Bangkok 10400 Thailand, Tel : (662) 643-5000